How Can I Prevent Heartburn?
Heartburn can often be prevented. Follow these tips to help prevent heartburn:
- Maintain a reasonable weight.
- Avoid any foods and beverages that worsen your symptoms.
- Wear clothes that are loose around the waist.
- Eat smaller meals and try not to overeat.
- Don’t smoke.
- Avoid constipation.
- Get enough sleep and minimize stress.
- Wait three hours after eating before you lie down.
- Elevate the head of your bed six to eight inches.
- National Heartburn Alliance.
- DeVault, K. and Castell, D. American Journal of Gastroenterology, 2005.
- Pettit, M. Pharmacy World and Science, December 2005.
- Talley, N. and Vakil, N. American Journal of Gastroenterology, October 2005.
- Feldman, M. Sleisenger and Fordtran’s Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease, 9th ed.,Saunders, 2010.